View Single Post
      07-28-2020, 11:38 AM   #7
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
Makes sense since they've added too many models, and, frankly, it's about time that BMW does similar. The Gran Coupé versions come to mind. The idea of 4-door coupes doesn't really make much sense to me and their low sales volume reflect that thought.
Actually BMW's Gran Coupe models easily outsell their coupes/convertible siblings, typically more than the combined sales of the two-door models, in fact.

What I am seeing in the passenger car market - and the rumored list of models on the chopping block at Mercedes would suggest they see the same - is that today's car buyer is losing interest in a vehicle that shares most everything with a sedan (or "four door coupe") model, but whose most visible distinctive feature is the omission of the rear doors. Now, convertible sales are also falling and their most distinct feature is the retractable roof, so there's obviously a loss of interest in that too. But with regard to coupes, it appears to me that the notion of full-size rear seats with no doors to access them is becoming outdated. Contrast this type of vehicle with true sports cars whose lack of rear doors is justified on the basis that they are not intended foremost as transportation. Instead, they are built around a chassis never intended to seat more than two (although sometimes it is a chassis merely never intended to seat more than two adults, at least not for any length of time, but which nevertheless still can accommodate four passengers). It's a compromise with obvious benefit - the resulting vehicle is lighter and has better weight distribution than it otherwise would have. Very acceptable - highly desired in fact - for its purpose of being about driving first, transportation second.

Another data point here is an interesting fact I read recently - I believe it was on thedrive.com - there are now (as of MY2021) no more FWD coupes in the US (and probably few elsewhere too I'd imagine). That's a surprising thing, even more surprising in that almost no one noticed. It sends the clear message that people buying non-sports-cars don't see reason to lose the rear doors anymore. This makes sense to me because with most vehicles being SUVs now, just driving a car provides the distinction that the former coupe buyer was looking for: "I didn't buy this car on the basis that it is the most practical decision, I wanted something more personal". Opting not to go with the two-box SUV form factor that has a convenient fifth door now sends that message.

That is not to say, however, that the four-door coupe is also not reaching the point of being superfluous as well. That might very well be the case. But, is it the sedan or the four-door coupe that should fade away? The jury is still very much out on that, I'd say. If we look at the remaining sedans on the market, many of them (most, perhaps) have a fast-back profile that very much resembles the luxury four-door coupes from the Germans. In fact, it might be that German sedans (and other premium sedans too, sure) are now the most sedan-y sedans left. Have these stalwarts reached the end of their distinguished careers? Maybe not, but it is perhaps to the chagrin of the German automakers who I am sure would love to go back to a simple three or four four-door lineup, but who find themselves with a foot in each camp, trying to appease traditionalists and neo-four-door passenger car buyers alike (all from a pool that is quickly shrinking).

And one last point for the four-door fastbacks: a number of them - such as the 4 Series, the A5/A7, the Panamera - offer that hatchback which is one more reason to favor those particular models ahead of their sedan counterpart (Porsche didn't even bother with a sedan counterpart to the Panamera - not a big enough market at that price point to care about).

If I had to wager on where this goes, I'm thinking that the future vehicle lineup at most manufacturers, including premium ones, and yes, including German premium ones, is at most three or four non-true-sports-car passenger cars in total, with the vast majority or those being "four door coupes" or fastback hatchbacks. I suspect that we'll see this transition pick up a lot of steam over the next decade, and by the end of the 2030's it'll be mostly complete. Sports cars, of course, will live on, although mostly at the mid range to high end of the market as has already been the trend for years now.

Quote:
I doubt the Z4 will last will last past the G29 generation.
Almost certainly the case, yes.
Appreciate 3