View Single Post
      07-16-2019, 12:50 PM   #52
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
I have experienced wandering eyes to your suggestion, often times as I further understand my own needs and use case for cars. As I shift back and forth on street driving vs track performance driving my desired garage looks vastly different - certainly a single car can be good at both but perhaps not great.

I was fortunate to stumble upon a BMW Z4M coupe when I did, but I cannot wonder what else I could experience the same funds. As it has hiccups and maintenance sagas (sometimes due to harsh usage!) I start shopping around. In the past three years I have looked seriously at a 987.2 Cayman, Golf R, 1M, M2, Z3 coupe and a Lotus Elise. The Lotus and 1M were the only two that came close, and back-to-back test drives made it a very hard decision.

Seemingly, newer cars interest me less and less as my specific tastes are reflected at increasing price points. My wife and I recently acquired a 2011 BMW wagon and it is an over designed tank, perfect for all my non-sport needs. I can turn a wrench decently well and will maintain it for years to come, but at some point it will go to the graveyard and there is no immediate replacement available.

Not sure what I am getting at, but certainly the two BMWs will stay in my garage long term. As for "variety is the spice of life" - I tend to rent a car on Turo or swap seats with a friend occasionally. When all else fails there is no harm in a test drive...
Appreciate 1
10"4974.50