View Single Post
      09-16-2013, 02:00 AM   #40
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
Here is a clue...is the S65 forced induction? I never said a crossplane crank NA motor can't rev high. You would have to be pretty stupid to not know that.

The turbo V8 in MP4-12C would not rev to 8,500 if it wasn't a flat plane crank. Lower rotating mass allowing higher maximum revs.

I have seen some cool LS V8 flat plane crank conversions revving over 9,000 rpms. Flat plane cranks are also the reason why exotics sound the way they do.
Exactly.

But imo: It's the whole package that counts. The engine is one of them.
Take a look at the F40 again.

Not running out of boost @ 8500rpm is possible for a FI engine, but the price is high. And we're talking Ferrari here.

Not running out of hp beyond 6000/ 7000rpm for a NA engine is possible too, but it has its price(///M , Porsche, Ferrari) because any normal streetcar from VW to Toyota with a normal NA engine sucks beyond 6000 or sometimes even 5000rpm.

The newer turbo engines of those normal streetcars are beyond their limits too at 6000/6500 but they still deliver power at midrange. Except for the 114i BMW engine that's the worst engine BMW ever created imo.

Anyway. It's about engineering and engineering involves a lot of money.

That's one of the reasons why a 458/F12/Aventador/GT3RS is a tad more expensive than a Toyota

Ferrari will come with an excellent FI engine I'm shure.

RUF already did that too in 1987 with the CTR, fastest roadcar back then. Biturbo. Turbolag. But a blast

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0