View Single Post
      07-07-2007, 07:25 AM   #15
fer360
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 BMW 335i

Speaking as a former owner. Here are my thoughts:

1. You definitely need a second car to drive to those places where an F car wouldn't be appropriate. You'll need something to drive to the supermarket and when it rains. I had a BMW 328i as my beater, but any car will do.
2. Ferraris are expensive to maintain. Major service is around $7500 for 8 cyl. engines and an oil change is about $500. A clutch is @ $2000 and may need to be replaced in as little as 3000 miles.
3. In spite of what you believe, a BMW is more reliable. For example: 360s eat window regulators at a rate of @ $800 a pop(a bargain.) Most parts are made of a substance called Unobtainium and are @ 5X the cost of the equivalent BMW part.
4. That car is long out of warrantee. $100k is the bottom of the price range on a 360 Modena and might indicate it wasn't properly maintained or has expensive issues that need to be addressed. At any rate, make sure you get it inspected by someone familiar with Ferrari mechanicals.

The good news is, if you buy from a Ferrari dealer and it passes an inspection, Ferrari will give you a basic 1 year used car warrantee.

Having said all that, I think everyone should own a Ferrari at least once in their life.
Appreciate 0