View Single Post
      07-19-2011, 08:54 AM   #58
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloakster View Post
Not everyone's top priority is about how fast a car goes in a straight line. I love what you get with it for the price. Decent straight line performance from the awesome N52 engine, handles in the twisties beautifully, very nice looking coupe, good driver focused interior, good options available. If you don't want a performance only STI, the 328i is a great car.
True, I was actually looking at a wagon for a bit, and due to BMW's lameness, the only option in the E91 is the N52. It's not a bad car, but it just doesn't excel in any area, and for that price, you would expect it to.... It's not great at luxury, options will push the price up pretty quickly, it's not blazingly quick.... Don't get me wrong, it's not incredibly low-rent, and is not slow by any means, but if you want lux for that price, there are much better options, and if you want sportiness for that price, there are many other options. It's a "Jack of all trades" of sorts.... Milquetoast. IMO of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPSGOD View Post
I actually think the 328i with the manual is a responsive if not thrilling car.. not too crazy about the automatic version
I despise the auto in the 328 as well. The autos are much better these days, but the need to be in the desired gear is something that just makes a whole lot more difference in the 328 than it does in the 335 or a V8 car. It's my impression that the 328 is miles better with a manual, but again that's just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM E92 View Post
All I'm saying is that the 3 series, particularly the 328 really represents an amazing value when you think about it.

Why is it time after time the M3 is chosen as the standard by which others are judged? Why do you think the M3 is FR and is not AWD? Why did they choose natural aspiration?
I don't really see the value of the 328 these days. Value would imply that you're getting a lot for the money. With the 328, that's only true if you want to be "average" to "above average" in a few categories. I just don't see the value in that. Then again, it's different strokes for different folks. I'm kinda tired of breaking down on the side of the freeway every couple months, so I have actually considered a 328 because of that. It's "good enough" of a car for me, but honestly in that price bracket there are MANY other VERY GOOD options.

Also, the M3 isn't much of a standard anymore. It used to transcend the boundaries of its class, and it has slowly faded to only be a class comparator. I do agree with you about the NA engine "feel" though. Too bad it's going to a turbo setup. Even worse, it's going to a BMW turbo setup. Maybe in the future I'll run into an F32 M3 owner by the side of the road and we can wait for BMW Roadside to pick up both of our vehicles with failed fueling systems. It would be nice to have company while waiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM E92 View Post
Take N52 and put a good race exhaust on it and it sounds like a race car, take a turbo boxer four and put a race exhaust on it and it sounds like a broken Hardley Davidson. I would also rather corner my 328 around two city blocks rather than understeer to the moon and back in a STi.
Dunno man. Of course this is all purely subjective, but the STi has a very good, intimidating tone to it. Generally, I've found people to appreciate it much more than the N52.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPSGOD View Post
Man this forum is pretty tense. I'm glad we don't have an Audi section or things could real ugly around here.
I'm pretty sure the Audiphiles would get regular infractions to keep everything as one-sided as possible. Oh wait, did that already happen?
Appreciate 0