View Single Post
      07-19-2011, 12:53 AM   #53
JIM E92
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
The 328 is a fine machine but it's snoozeville for me. I'd get a civic si,mazdaspeed3,gti,mini cooper s,135I,wrx,sti,accord,tsx,altima v6,maxima,g37,accord v6,taurus SHO,Passat CC,Genesis coupe,Mustang,Camaro and many other vehicles over that car. Douche,snob,cocky who cares. I'm not a Bmw fan it's either top of the line or I look elsewhere.

Glad that you like your car,it's a good car. Honestly if my car does put a grin on my face when I take fast curves,accelerate quickly nor sound good I'll save some cash and get a regular car like TK-421 said . FWD is not a problem a that point.

It's the 335 in 2007 that got me back into a Bmw showroom. I did not bother in 2006 walking into a showroom to take a look at the new E90 325-330. By looking at the posters Drives: from this thread most are into performance(M6,335(I)(D),135,supercharged E46 M3, M3,Z4).I'm sure all these guys are more concerned with the fun to drive factor rather than a plush drive,well put interior,look etc.
That's funny because given the choice I would not select any of the cars you listed, and that's including the 135 or 335 over the 328. It's not that I'm stuck on BMW. Far from it. I've owned many brands and see their worth for what they are. It's simply my opinion (and many others, including Car and Driver) the 328 and some respects the 128 represents the core of what a sporty car should embody. It's very simple. Natural aspiration for linear power delivery. Straight six for smoothness and general auditory bliss. Rear drive for weight transfer when mashing the right pedal. Chassis that is balanced for predictable and controllable handling at the limit. It's not that difficult of a spec to match on paper. However Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Infinity, Chevy, Ford, Hyundai, Honda, all have tried to duplicate it with only limited success. BMW has simply had more time to perfect the formula. All I'm saying is that the 3 series, particularly the 328 really represents an amazing value when you think about it.

There are hundreds of combinations you can take when you set out to design a sports car. Why is it time after time the M3 is chosen as the standard by which others are judged? Why do you think the M3 is FR and is not AWD? Why did they choose natural aspiration? Why did they not develop the M3 on a Mini Cooper chassis? They could have saved a ton of money. VW/AUDI does this very thing. Look at the TTRS it's on a golf chassis. Half of the cars you listed above were developed primarily as an economy car or family sedans. Including the STi which is an extreme example of one. Economy cars share an architecture that is hard to overcome. The FF drive, the passenger cabin pushed almost over the front axel, the ginormous trunks, the aerodynamics..etc. Sure, you can tune some of their inherent design out by changing the shocks, adding heavier springs and slapping on an Si badge, but at the end of the day what you really have is a warmed over econo-box.
Appreciate 0