View Single Post
      08-11-2015, 01:09 PM   #7
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
The video is real, Lexus did build an actual hoverboard which is completely impractical since the LN2 needs to be refilled after 10 minutes of use in order to keep the superconductors cool enough. The superconductors don't need an oscillating magnetic field. Why that is I won't pretend I remember or know.

Lexus built that skateboard park in Spain and was built specifically for that hoverboard (which obviously wouldn't work anywhere outside that park). Trying to remember college, theoretically, the ground just needs metal that a magnet would interact with in order for it to hover like that. Something like steel would work.

This has been done before, Lexus just decided to waste a crazy amount of money in just increasing the scale at which it's done. Still cool nonetheless.
The only part of the park which was modified was the pond in the middle which you can see the rail that board hoover overs and a small section of the concrete they buried the rail in, you can see the section of the concrete the modified the rest was completely fake. The problem is video magic is so good these days it hard to tell when reality ends the magic takes over.

Reason being, the magnetic poles have to stay completely align within in a few fraction of an inch to balance any movement one way or another and it will not work.
Appreciate 0