03-01-2023, 06:16 PM   #34
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsarna View Post
I got a call from BMW USA today. They are taking my issue pretty seriously they told me. One question I was asked about the episode was, 'did you hear the RPMs suddenly go up?' I told them that it happened so suddenly, that all I could think of was to break hard & I honestly couldn't say one way or the other about the RPMs. Seems to me that they are aware of the sudden RPM surge that you describe.
Interesting, again this never happens at FOT or cold, but just when warm. Perfect example - you’ve driven your car home, let it cool off for about an hour so you can wash it and the brakes are not too hot, then after washing you go to start it to pull into the garage, the idle while in park goes from the normal ~850 rpm to 1500+ and will remain there for 5-10 seconds. I guess if someone’s not aware and shifts into drive thinking the vehicle will just creep forward at a normal idle speed, it will be double that and could potentially cause an incident. Hope this helps a bit.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 2
mcsarna22.00
Volcanic168.00