View Single Post
      08-14-2009, 10:38 PM   #79
Verrückt
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeifW View Post
Verrückt,

That's a cool video. I don't know why, but I got a chuckle from the clip of the model plane flying in the living room sandwiched between all the driving clips.

You mention having some seat time in the new S4. How does the steeering feel compare to the 335i? Ditto on the shift feel.

Thanks,
Leif
Hey Leif, thanks for the kind words.

I have to say that I'm impressed how impartial and level headed most are here.

As I said above, both are fantastic cars. The steering feel on the Audi depends greatly if the car is equipped with drive select. If it is, the steering is much more dynamic, meaning it can be light and easy at parking lot speeds and firms up quite well when pushed harder.

It's an improvement over previous Audi offerings, there's a lot less weight on the front end and the lion's share of torque goes to the rear. In pure steering feel and feedback, the 335i still has a slight edge IMO (just due to less weight and no drivetrain), though it's really close.

I think the S4 more than compensates with better damped suspension, suspension adjustabililty, and the sport torque vectoring rear differential which can do things the 335i can't. For example, the differential works on braking as well inducing trail braking when the stability control is switched off.

Granted, I've only driven the S4 on a wet racetrack, so I can't vouch for it's dry weather 10/10 performance.

My review of the S4 is here...

http://www.audiworld.com/news/08/b8-s4-first-drive/

Shifting feel is a little more difficult as I didn't sit in the cars on the same day. From memory, the S4 has slightly shorter throws with a more precise feel. The 335i is a bit more rubbery.
Appreciate 0