View Single Post
      04-19-2021, 08:18 AM   #525
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Any large company doing business in China is working closely with the state government and the Chinese are experts at business risk/reward ... ie., if Apple closed up shop in China it would wipe out whole towns - on the other hand, Foxconn is massive, building plants all over the world including in Wisconsin in the US (though wisconsin got scammed on that one).

All of the western auto companies were in China a decade ago and China bought Volvo in 2010 in an attempt to break into the auto market ... but I think it became obvious there was no way for them to outproduce Western ICE...

But then around 2014 the Chinese realized BEVs could be a thing - and western manufacturers were nowhere. Once they started looking at the global transportation, parts, and oil markets they seem to realize they could disrupt the West:
LONDON, Sept. 14, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- 2014 may be called the "first year" of the development of Chinese electric vehicles, with annual sales reaching 74,763, 3.2 times higher than in 2013. With the ascent in the global electric vehicle market, China becomes the second largest market in the world after the United States, eyeing 23.5% market share. Among the top 20 most popular models in 2014, BYD Qin, Kandi K10, Chery QQ3 EV, Zotye E20, BAIC E150 EV and BYD e6 came from China, representing a combined 15.3% share of total sales in the global market.
So of course China would invite Tesla in, just like they did Apple.

Ultimately I think the Chinese are going after the energy market - they want to be the Middle East of 21st century energy.

China is more than happy to let Western countries fight internal sectarian culture wars while they quietly subsume majority production in every industry, and eventually become the World's reserve currency.
And once again, the West will sit around arrogantly laughing about how the Chinese have poor quality and can only copy, not invent. We will busy ourselves with all manner of distractions while China gets down to business; the business of being THE dominant global superpower. The last time I was there I was beginning to see electric cars and scooters frequently. I'm really curious to see what it will look like when I finally go back after travel restrictions are lifted. I'll bet there's a significant uptick in BEVs.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18183.50