12-31-2006, 08:07 PM   #10
Jaws
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by obLu
Thanks guys, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I'm all about spartan and purposeful; I find modern BMWs to have just too many gadgets. But I don't like cheap and chintsy either.

I've actually driven an s2k before, I just didn't have any time to look around at the quality of the materials. It was a buddies, and I didn't have much time to "test drive". It was night and I was having to drive his drunk ass home.

My biggest concern is that after a few months I'll wonder why I spent 30+k on it. Keep in mind, I got my 330 for a pretty decent bargain at 39k. I want a balls to the wall sports car. I'm just not sure I'm fully prepared to give up the e90 for a car that's only 6-7k less. Is it somewhat safe to look at pre-owned?

But can't complain too much, it's a nice decision to have to be making.
Just buy it from a mature owner and you are set. I bought mine from a friend, and even though it had been tracked (a good portion of them are) it has been bullet proof. The good thing about S2Ks is that since most of them are 2nd or 3rd vehicles, it's not too hard to find one with low mileage and warranty left on them.

Even though mine is now coming up on 7 years old, the chassis is still rock solid, the interior has worn well, and the car has no issues. The gearbox is pure sex.

One thing with the car in general is that it is noisy. You are so close to everything, and there is no sound deadening (that would just add weight).
Appreciate 0