View Single Post
      04-11-2020, 08:22 AM   #17
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
I took the M850i out for a spin including picking up a few essentials at Costco so if stopped I could claim I was on my way home.

Here in the Phoenix metropolitan area there is a freeway loop (the 101) that the N/S stretch is on my way back from Costco. So I took total advantage of that for about a 30 mile round trip run after picking up the supplies. Apparently there is a "new rule" ala Bill Maher as normally very few speed over 75 MPH against the 65 MPH PSL. Today though 85 MPH was the norm and I tracked along with several drivers at 90 MPH plus.

The difference is with my Valentine 1 Gen2 detector and the JBV1 app on my Pixel 3XL I'm in the "know" vs many of those other drivers. I still have to keep my eye out for the unmarked Dodge Chargers that the DPS (aka Highway Patrol) uses here so rule of thumb is if there is no Dodge Charger to be seen I speed like a banshee.

Case-in-point I hit 120 for a few sprints on the drive and learned a few things. #1 can't do that in Comfort Mode (which I had set as normal for freeway cruising) as on some of the turns the steering got a bit wonky vs in Sport (or Sport Plus). #2 is even in Comfort mode the transmission will kick down and open up that endless power (thanks to the wide band of RPM torque from the twin turbos) making a 80 MPH to 120 MPH acceleration sprint happen before you can realize just how fast your going. In fact if I didn't have my speed warning set at 110 MPH I likely would not have realized it.

All-in-all loving the M850i for all the reasons why I bought it even though I had somehow forgotten over the past 3 weeks of barely driving it. Also digging the "new rule" which I guess is one upside to the COVID-19 lock down. Looking forward to my next essentials supply run.
I feel for you. My commute takes me through less crowded counties where I happen to know and take care of many deputies families so I get to see triple digits when I want. Took the X3Mc to 147 and was impressed at how strong the 6 cylinder is a speed. The M8 has seen 160 once but given the limits of the snows at 155 I have held off. 90 is an event that happens a few times a week even though most of my speed is 70-78. Oh and I am running Waze, full ALP lasers and radar plus I know every place the LEOs hide.
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 1