04-01-2020, 12:28 AM   #78
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
I guess you could still have a physical key for the case of the dead battery (phone or car) and use NFC or RFID to do what current transponders do for security, just add the phone unlock as an extra option. So I don't really see the new problems it introduces.

However I don't really see what problem it solves otherwise. With modern keyless access we don't have to get the key fob out of our bag/pocket to open and start the car. You would still need to carry the fob for the odd case your phone dies/falls into the toilet/stolen. So what's the point of having a phone app that does the same thing?
I for one would prefer to leave the bulky fob at home and just use my phone. Why carry extra crap when I can consolidate down.

If you review the connected car consortium site, industry group of auto manufacturers and tech companies (think: same purpose as the group that's works on WiFi standards to ensure all devices of different brands work together), the tech will evolve shortly to function just like the key fob does. Leave it in pocket and go about your business, it will replace the need for a fob.
Appreciate 0