02-03-2020, 08:48 PM   #32
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Considering the 8 series was an evolution of the 6 series, the investment albeit extensive, wasn't over the top as with a clean sheet. I truly hope it's not discontinued but as with most, sales will determine its fate. If BMW were wise, they would ensure all customers with their new flagships were treated exceedingly well when visiting the workshop.
Agreed as to not a complete clean sheet but at least in the original marketing materials the launch of the M850i was to build a "gentleman's sports car" (sad as the statement alone discounts female driving enthusiasts). Not having ever drove a 650i I cannot compare the two. However, I have a friend with one so that shootout comparison is forthcoming. Regardless, I think they hit the mark and the MT Bentley Continental V8 vs M850i shoot out proved that fact (not like I'll ever be able to drive like Randy) and not sure a 650i would have even been a player.

The good news is even if they scrap the entire lot in 2021 at least here in the US federal law requires BMW to make parts and provide service for 10 years. Thus, all of us "early adopters" can enjoy our cars with no reservation whatsoever. The sad part will be if BMW does kill off the 8-series coupe and other variants it just means future prospective buyers will miss out on a great drive.
Appreciate 1
RJC-11289.50