01-29-2020, 06:36 PM   #9
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
While cool in concept, this is another example where Germans are too conservative/slow to embrace tech and develop a great use case.
Tesla wasted no time to make additional use of its cameras but there are too many limitations on the Drive recorder to make it useful IMO.

1. get better cameras- 4K 60hz. - great resolution to capture license plates day/night/poor weather.
2. Continuous recording with upload to BMW Connected Drive Cloud - Would actually be worth a subscription fee (to me)
3. Opt-in to record drive data on screen (gps data, date/time stamp, speed)
4. Parking protection with extended recording up to 7 days - this would fit well with the remote view functionality

Would be easy to make this a selectable option when buying the car. Get base functionality for free, pay $500 for a full dash cam security package.
Agree with all the points. #4 would be equivalent to Tesla's Sentry Mode which I'd love to have. I think the catch-22 is it would run down the battery but no differently than to how Tesla handles this the IoT on the car would turn it off if the voltage would drop below a safe number.

My boss has a Model 3 and here in AZ the absolute best feature is constant cabin temperature control, i.e., if his car is charged up he can set it at 78 degrees in the summer and the car will keep it at that level while in the office parking lot unless it starts to impact the battery charge to some set threshold (assuming a set mileage range, e.g., 100 which is generally good enough in any metropolitan area to get home).

He was surprised when I showed him the remote 3D view as he said he'd love that on his Tesla. Catch-22 of course is that was back in early December and the feature hasn't worked since then.
Appreciate 0