01-29-2020, 06:24 PM   #7
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Just spoke w/BMW NA, the drive recorder is a new app for MY 2020 and is n/a on 2019's. I asked if it's available as a paid app and was told no b/c it's not compatible, even though we are running the same I drive. That sux, would have gladly paid for it.
Yes, it is baked into the 2020 full Driving Assistance Package (ZDA) vs the watered down BS Driving Assistance Package 2 (ZDX) which they have finally eradicated in early January from the BMW NA website. Final rant on that is my first order last August with the ZDX package that could not be changed due to the Individual factory lock date drove me to the new order to get ZDA primarily for the 3D View (so useful) and Parking Assistant Plus (figured I could use it for parallel parking). Drive Recorder was a pleasant surprise.

That said I do not understand why it is not compatible with the 2019s with iDrive 7 as well. I'm going to guess the same camera system is in the 2019s and the app itself is purely software driven. The only thing I can think of is there are new sensors on the 2020's that enable the automatic feature to capture the pre/post footage in case of impact. Even if that is the case one would think that option to just not be available for the 2019s and the self-capture would work regardless.
Appreciate 1
RJC-11283.50