View Single Post
      01-23-2020, 09:03 AM   #2
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu-Ricky View Post

1. The piece in the trunk that allows you to either use more space in the trunk or put the top down really needs to be automated and powered. I think the Mercedes S-Class does that if I remember correctly when I test drove one. It's not fun to have to get out of the car to fold that piece down to operate the trunk. I know, first world problems.

2. What's with the single button for heating and cooling the seats? There are like 20 other buttons that I could lose that hardly get used, but often on a warm day in SoCal I like cooled seats, then at night warmed. But that requires pushing the button then going into the menu to change it from cool to heat and vice versa.

3. The storage bins in the doors go really far back, but if you put something in them, like a phone or glasses, it's really hard to fish stuff out of them when things move to the back.

4. The neck warmer is great if the top is up, but it's not powerful enough to blow warm air on your neck when the top is down. It has three levels but the highest is not very strong.

5. So it has Apple Car Play, but you can't use an iPhone for the digital key? Why? And the credit card digital key seems to work when it wants but not all the time. I took the car out one night with just the card and I could not lock the car with it. Not sure if I was doing something wrong, but I was concerned I wasn't going to be able to start the car. The card is a great idea but now I'm not using it because I feel it's not reliable.

6. Mercedes did a much better job with the electric wind deflector front and back in the S-Class. The BMW rear wind deflector works great, but again, it's manual operation in a $130k+ car seems kinda cheap and it uses up the entire back seat and prohibits the front seats from going all the way back. Also to take it out and put it in is a pain. Bad design IMHO.

7. There should be a HVAC setting that changes with top up and top down. Again I think Mercedes does this even in the E-class. Top up I want it to be like 72 degrees automatic, but when it's cold I want the heat to blast from the floor. To do that it means turning the temp all the way up, manually directing the air to the floor (seems like the high temp would activate the floor but no), and I like to turn off the A/C. Would be nice if it remembered those settings and then when the top went up it adjusted to top up settings. Seems like an easy software programming option.

8. Front seatbelts should have a little presenter like the Benz. Kind of hard to reach the belt.

Oh, one more thing, what's with the center display. We can choose from a useless map with no street names or I think the media display? Would be nice to have some other options, again, just software.

Ok that's it, my thoughts/rants. Anyone care to comment? Thanks
Hi. Your points are reasonable and worth comment. Here's my take:

1. Trunk space. I haven't found it to be a problem. I knew going in that I would have to work around that, given the nature of a convertible. As for working the shelf, I rarely bother, but to your comment of having to get out of the car to do that, I guess you mean physically retracting the shelf so the top can be stored. I just do that at the same time I'm removing whatever I placed in the temporarily "extended" trunk space.

2. Single button for seat cooling/heating. I completely agree. It is a major hassle, stupid design and dangerous insofar as adjusting it during driving requires multiple steps.

3. Door storage bins. Those storage bins do extend very deeply into the length of the door and getting stuff out of there can be difficult. OTOH, it's hard to complain about having extra storage space, imo. In my previous BMWs front-cabin storage space always seemed too sparse.

4. Agree on the relative power of the neck warmer. But I'm not really sure how much more powerful something like that could be.

5. Keys. I've dispensed with both the credit-card thing and the display key. The first is too unreliable; the second is too big. And I've found that I always had to re-invoke my personal settings every time I switched keys. Screw it. I just use the regular key. (That said, I recharge the display key regularly...just in case.)

6. Wind deflector. I immediately placed my wind deflector inside a utility closet and haven't touched it since. I've never seen the point of that thing. If I have the top down, I want the wind to blow. If it's too windy, up comes the roof.

7. HVAC system. I'm not sure, but I think I've sensed that the HVAC system does account for roof position. At least so far as fan power is concerned. But I take your point.

8. Seat belt presenter. It would be nice, but I'm not having any issues with finding mine.

9. Center display. I assume you're referring to the one directly in front of the driver. Given all the data options available for elsewhere on that screen and on the adjacent display just to the right, I'm fine with the choices available in that particular location.

I'll add one: Cup holders in the rear seat. We really could use some back there. I know, I know, but my grandkids find the back seat quite roomy enough and having even modest cup holders there would lower my blood pressure considerably.

Bottom line: I agree that it's a helluva machine. By far, the best I've ever owned. And I love your color combo. Well done.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.

Last edited by redhot47fla; 01-23-2020 at 09:23 AM..
Appreciate 0