07-15-2017, 06:41 PM   #7
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbsm View Post
Personally I think they need to do a better job than just looking at a one time snapshot of emissions for looking at suitability.

Nobody wants polluted air but this is just one minor and very politicized aspect of the equasion

What they should be doing is looking at overall predicted longevity of types and brands as well as different considerations of impact of production as well as reclamation and lifetime "cost" per mile

For example.....EV's may emit no emissions but you have to drive the thing for nearly 100k to compensate for the impact associated with things like battery production (rare earth metal mining)

Diesel's are frequently driven 200k or much further.

The obsessive focus on a single data point (emissions) is myopic in my opinion
Agreed, I have an MB bluetc, I get about 800Km out of a fill up. I love the thing, I drove to Pensacola last year and back with some excursions. $150 all in. I'd like to hang onto the thing for 10 years. Did you see the Top Gear episode where they compare the M3 to a Prius, I get the eff you attitude but the facts are quite interesting. The whole EV thing is being driven by government.
Appreciate 1
fbsm743.00