View Single Post
      07-15-2017, 01:25 AM   #13
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Will it be good as the original or will have nagging issues? Will chk but not sure if I have coverage.

It's not too bad, just 2 very small cracks so we'll see if worth the hassle of them messing w/ my car.
Cracks will propagate, it may take a while, but eventually you'll hit more rocks, the windshield will see stresses from something else, and of course there's heating and cooling.

We are somewhat "experts" when it comes to this up in Alaska, because they put freaking rocks on the road for traction for all the dip****s that refuse to get studded tires in the winter. So of course these go flying everywhere, especially before the big "clean up" in the spring where they run the street sweepers down the highway and collect all the crap, so they can use it again. We get peppered with all sorts of hits. By fixing the chips, you significantly increase the life of your windshield. Here, you pretty much have to do it every year, but if you get lucky and are on top of it, you can stretch that out some. I got 2 years out of my current one. "Fixing" doesn't mean you can't see the chips after you fix them, it just means you've applied the resin correctly, scraped the excess, and prevented the chip from propagating.

So I'm not sure what you mean by "fixing" it, if you mean replacing the entire thing or fixing a few cracks. Both will "fix" it, if the cracks are mall enough and not located on an edge, but only one will look "totally perfect" obviously. We take so many hits here that I don't give a crap if it's OEM glass or not, as long as it's the right thickness (OEM specs) it's fine, because really, nothing is going to hold up over the long run. Far more important to fix the little chips when they occur.