08-25-2019, 10:56 AM   #13
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
Ah I was just trying to find an evidence to back up my claim of taking 50 years from horse to car..., don't care for the politics
At the age of 7 in 1935, my mother travelled across the US from Norfolk, VA to San Francisco in a 1932 Chevrolet 4-door sedan with her parents and two younger brothers. The American automobile industry was started in earnest in the early 1900's, really between 1903 - 1908. So in less than 30 years the US was able to create an entire new transportation system that allowed motorized travel across the 3,000 mile country. That involved creating a paved road system, fuel delivery infrastructure, and fuel stops and hotels plentiful enough for such safe travel. Twenty years to possibly get to Level 5 autonomy, let alone complete dissolution of human-driven cars, based on the speed of technology advancement in the modern era, I'd say is quite slow compared to what effort was undertaken to create the automotive transportation system in the early 20th century.

If the author of that article is counting the start at the invention of the automobile in the mid 1880's then sure, it was near 50 years, but from a realistic historical perspective that is a bit disingenuous.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 08-25-2019 at 11:21 AM..
Appreciate 1