06-05-2019, 09:31 AM   #38
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferizzo View Post
While I don't disagree with all your points I do think some need to be added to or challenged. You can nitpick and cherry-pick quotes all day long (isn't BMW chief in danger of being ousted as well?) that does not necessarily reflect on the product itself. 3-series is a known brand that has been around for a while and the ATS is a first gen vehicle. Many would argue that the ATS was as good, if not better, all around car than the 3 (many in this thread have said as such) but the ATS was not well-marketed and never got traction. People love bimmers and some blindly! Shoot, even I bought one after knowing about the issues with their V8s. Cadillac lost its way several years back and is trying to rebuild itself. unfortunately, and this is entirely my opinion, not very well.

At least with SC it will not cause you to crash...it will actually make the driver take control. While the system is not perfect it has safety features built in trying to prevent crashes from happening if the system cannot function at 100%. not saying it is fool-proof but we have seen what happens when semi-autonomous features fail (see Tesla).

In terms of CT4/5-Vs not following in the ATS/CTS-V footsteps (departure in your words), they are simply using a new naming convention, similar to other OEMs. As already announced, there will be higher performance variants coming out that will be more of that "V" tradition. The CT4/5-Vs are within spitting distance of the M340 so I am not sure the point there. It will compete in the M340 wheelhouse, no doubt.

Finally, I don't think you need to be successful in Europe to build to make a convincing product as you say. You need to be successful in Europe as a business to allow you to reinvest in your product for the future. Plenty of vehicles of all types are successful without having much in terms of sales in Europe. I think it is a shame Cadillac cannot be more successful there, but does not mean they cannot make a quality car for their home market that competes with the German automakers.

Sorry for the long post. these are just my opinions but felt the need to interject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
All vehicles are a reflection of the company which builds them.

- Cadillac's Super Cruise system doesn't work well under full sunlight. The system can suddenly shut off "if direct sunlight is stopping a steering-wheel-column-mounted infrared camera from looking at your face".

Back to the new CT4-V and CT5-V.

These new cars are a complete departure from ATS-V and CTS-V. For example, in 2016 3rd generation CTS-V offered 640 HP.

CT5-V 3.0-liter twin turbo V6 offers 355 horsepower while BMW M340i offers 382 horsepower in a B58 derivative. Arguably, B58 engine is one of the best engines built so far.

For Cadillac to make a convincing product which competes with BMW, Mercedes and Audi, healthy sales in Europe are a must. Instead, Cadillac sales in Europe have been nearly insignificant.

http://carsalesbase.com/european-car...data/cadillac/

Finally, GM interior is well ... Generally Marginal at best.
I could not agree with you more because I also want Cadillac to succeed. It would be yet another tragedy if Cadillac were to experience the same fate as Pontiac.
Appreciate 0