View Single Post
      01-20-2019, 07:23 PM   #59
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc100 View Post
My' '18 Forester XT doesn't have a noticeable lag. But I suspect its no better than BMW's 2.0. As mentioned better to have (in the case of a 2.0 250 HP instead of 200 without the Turbo.

And lets face it you are not going to blow anyone away in a 2.0 X3 just like I won't on my Forester XT. But it beats the hell (literally) out of the 185 HP NA engine.
The auto FXTs were some of the worst though, the engine didn't have enough gears to keep it in the right range so it was a dog at times. I remember reading a review where they talked about holding the brake and revving it way up in gear. I would have loved an older manual FXT to turn into a badass wagon. My 2.0 WRX was bad in 2nd below the borderline until I did the full stage 2. It wasn't great after that, but at least I didn't have to downshift to first anymore. There was no good reason why Subaru kept making that 4EAT and it should never have been speced on the WRX and questionable for the FXT. Classic example of a car that should only be manual (vs. modern ones that are better and faster with some variation of an auto).

I still maintain that what people perceive as "lag" is throttle lag and the auto trans simply being in the wrong gear or having to shift first. When you are in "boost range" the response is immediate and these modern turbo engines stay in boost range pretty much all the time, so that's definitely not the issue.

There's no comparison between my 2.0 WRX and the N20 I had on my 4-series. The 4 series would go right away when in sport or sport+. The WRX would not, lots of rev-matching and downshifting or waiting for boost to build. The N20 taps right off the exhaust headers getting the hottest gasses right from the source and that in turn spins up very fast, the WRX routed unequal length headers down, around, and then back up to the turbo, many feet of tubing just for the exhaust to reach the turbo. At least the intercooler was close, but fast turbo-spinners those cars were not. You still run into lag when you want to take a car with a 2.0 and pound out 400+hp, because you need a pretty big turbo for that and that will require a big intercooler and to fill all that volume will take time and require that much more exhaust to do so. In the 200-300hp range you can make those 2.0 spin up fast. More than that and you'd probably need an electric motor to assist in reducing lag, which we are seeing more of these days.

Last edited by RM7; 01-21-2019 at 12:27 AM..
Appreciate 0