02-07-2017, 12:22 PM   #87
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODU135 View Post
what does everyone wish the new supra will have? For me, in a dream world the new supra would have:

-an inline 6 twin turbo, that has more tuning and aftermarket potential than the n54. Also more reliability (shouldn't be hard)
-RWD and 6 speed manual transmission
-Be wide enough to fit some decent rubber in the wheel. (unlike the 135i)
-cost around 40K for a base or possibly less.

Id probably be in the market for one if it fits those criteria
This is heavily rumored by multiple sources -- and based on what Toyota typically does with its model trims, this is the most likely scenario:

There will be three levels of Supra:
- Base will be RWD and have a single twin-scroll turbo four -- probably the same engine in the Lexus GS -- with a higher-power model available. Maybe a Bxx BMW engine? Perhaps ...
- Mid will be the twin-turbo V6 that was just launched in the Lexus LS500, re-tuned for performance. It will NOT be the NA V8 in the Lexus LC500. RWD and AWD will be available.
- High will be an AWD hybrid, probably paired with the V6 and likely a similar powertrain to the Lexus LC500 hybrid. Rumors suggest that the electric motor is housed within the transmission, suggesting that it will primarily be used to supply extra torque and low-load power. It will actually makes less power than the standalone TT V6.

Based on all of this, I'm really, really curious which models get an MT option and which won't. Plainly the hybrid won't ... and I suspect the standalone V6 won't, either. I bet the only trim that gets one will be the TST 4 bangers.
Appreciate 0