07-17-2020, 09:11 PM   #18
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotchtion View Post
First off - thank you to everyone that replied. It's a great forum and it's awesome to see people try to help out.

Resjudicata - seems we are sporting the same car. I don't like driving 80+ with the top down either. Only so much buffeting the wind deflector can help with. But overall, the top-down wind management is really very good - its my 5th BMW convertible and the best one in that regards. And yes, I have the 20" summer tires on the car (given we have no winter here).

The tires were inspected when the front end was checked. They are fine. Only 2500 miles on them and the car. But interesting point is that I took a drive to Flagstaff in Northern AZ and the car was very planted on the mountain road. But every once and a while I'd get turbulence off a truck or a gust from a mountain pass and it would push the car around in the lane. I found that if I went faster, it would hunker down more and the stability got better. Guess that means I have to drive 100+
Haha, yes with the windows up even without the wind deflectors, it's pretty good wind management. Obviously better with everything up and top down, but even top up is fairly quiet.

I'm glad you enjoy it and it's not too bad when you're not getting blown around by trucks!
I'll admit with DC traffic, I'm almost always on the brake or gas. So it could be a problem with coasting.

It's probably not the same, but next time I'm driving on a windy day(might be a while); I'll try finding an open road and coasting around 30, 40, 50, and 60 mph and see if I get blown around or a truck blows me around.

I've had race cars that need time for the tyres to get grip and engine to warm up; but I've never noticed that problem in the bmw M850i.
Appreciate 0