07-15-2020, 02:30 PM   #10
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotchtion View Post
I took it to the dealer. Front end checks out fine. Tires and alignment all good. Drives just fine with no crosswinds.

On the lane departure, I don't like that feature so I have it off. It doesn't provide steering input, just a light vibration of the wheel if I drift in the lane. But it is a good thing to keep in mind the next time it happens. Seems unlikely it would randomly enable steering input only on days with crosswinds, but with an overly complicated car like this, who knows.

Guess I need to wait for another windy day and do some more experimenting or have the dealer drive it again.
The drag coefficient on these cars is amazingly low from almost any angle, so I seriously doubt it's the car. A strong 30 or 40mph crosswind combined with the air turbulence from other vehicles on the road would make even a McLaren move around a bit.

I've been in a 8GC during windy conditions going well north of 100mph on the expressway and it was stable as can be. If it can't be replicated each time you drive then there's most likely nothing wrong with the car.