07-02-2020, 07:46 PM   #4
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotchtion View Post
I was in comfort - default startup settings. I was fighting the wheel to keep from drifting outside the lane dividers. Looked at other cars around me and no one else seemed to be getting blown about. The front end seemed to get really light/disconnected, especially at freeway speed.

I went out today (with no real winds) and its just fine on the same stretch of road.

Making me wonder if I've got something wrong with the front end I never knew about.
Comfort mode has the most forgiving ride from a suspension standpoint and the steering is a bit looser as well. However, that still doesn't make sense as to why you'd have to be fighting the wheel to keep within the lane dividers whatsoever. The M850i is a low profile car with a decently low aerodynamic drag coefficient plus its built to be solid as a rock at 100+ MPH.

For most commuting (when there was such a thing) and local freeway driving I'm in Sport Individual with the engine/transmission set to Sport, chassis (aka suspension) set to Comfort and steering set to Sport. I definitely prefer the Sport steering over Comfort given the "looseness" of the latter. On the drive to CA though I was in Adaptive mode which adjusts to the driving conditions (fed by the road ahead with Nav engaged) as well as what the driver is doing. However, in the high crosswinds I had not issues whatsoever.

It unfortunately sounds like you may have an issue with the front-end. According to the weather history yesterday winds were at about 10 MPH and it looks like tomorrow afternoon the forecast calls for the same. If that pans out I'll take a drive on the 101 and report back on the experience.
Appreciate 0