View Single Post
      01-09-2021, 07:20 AM   #44
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
People who argue that BMW needs to drop X and Y to be competitive are probably wrong.
As a general statement that’s true. However, the reason why it’s true is that people tend to choose “X and Y” based on personal taste or other irrelevant factors rather than engaging in reasoned analysis.

The fact of the matter is that BMW and other automakers do EOL products. BMW has recently discontinued the F34, the G32 (in the US, but it’s days are numbered worldwide), and the i12/i15. The i01 and the F46 also will not get reprieves. Before these products were officially cancelled, there were suggestions that they should be, and those suggestions turned out to be on target.

Mercedes has also recently opted to end and not replace some products including the SLC, X Class, and the S Class coupe and convertible. They will also not replace their C Class coupe and convertible when their cycle ends in the next year. Most of these decisions were ultimately due to industry-wide sales decline in the respective segments. Since BMW sells vehicles in some of these same segments, it is not unreasonable to posit that their portfolio may be similarly adjusted.
Appreciate 0