05-30-2020, 10:07 PM   #11
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
I'm at a loss. There may be a way to amplify the antenna signal - perhaps a top-notch auto sound tech can install something between the antenna and the head unit?
Far from an expert but based on my prior experience with DBS satellite (aka DishNetwork or DirecTV) in my first step at cutting the cable cord over 25 years ago it is completely directional. SiriusXM is a different mode of that same technology and hence you can drive around but still get a signal. However, it still is somewhat line-of-sight so even with a shark fin antenna sit too long under an overpass and you'll get complete drop out.

In other words I do not think an amplifier within the car to "boost" the signal from the antenna will help as at least in my experience the primary dropouts I get is when in my garage. For example if I park the car with SiriusXM as the source it's all fine as I press the start button to kill the engine, exit the car, etc. However, the next time I start up the car as I wait for the first kick down of the cold start RPMs (there are actually two but I'll never engage reverse until at least the first one is in play) I'll get drop outs from the SiriusXM station.

Sad to hear that it is actually dropping out from trees as that just means a piss poor antenna location design. The shark fin on my wife's X5 worked much better in all situations (including inside the garage) prior to dropping the SiriusXM subscription for it (she only listens to a local FM station).
Appreciate 0