01-11-2014, 08:59 AM   #98
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktimize View Post
I don't know what you're mad about? I was asking a question, not trying to berate you or something. I'm just curious on someones reasoning that you can add a blower, upgraded engine, upgraded suspension and brakes, aero, R&D, etc. And not expect the price to go up? I'm not trying to make you or anyone else change their mind, just discussing each others opinions. This is a discussion forum after all isn't it?

Comparing the base model to the C6 Z06 isn't really reflective. The base model and the old Z06 aren't far off to begin with. So it's pretty easy to let that tech trickle down for minimal cost. Whereas this new Z06 is an entirely new monster from the old Z06.
I'm not mad at all, I just don't see why you seem to feel that quoting everyone who disagrees with you and giving the same reply will change people's minds more than just making your point once.

The fact is that there's still a ton of information we don't know about the C7 Z06, much of which could have a major impact on its price (as I alluded to above), so it's not possible to accurately predict its price. But I do know that it's not reliable to predict a car's price based purely on how it's expected to perform overall relative to its predecessors, since there are MANY examples of newer generations of cars outperforming even uplevel versions of their predecessors while still being priced under the uplevel versions. It's also not reliable to predict price based purely on its power output figures. Ford delivered a 662 hp / 650 lb-ft Mustang for about $55K, which was shocking when it was announced. There's a lot more that goes into the cost of a car.

How can I expect all of those things to be added without the price going up? Well other than the blower, all of those things were added to the base C7 and its price didn't go up much, and that doesn't even take into account the dramatically better interior, comfort and convenience features, etc. Getting more for less is just how the market evolves.

And your entire second paragraph makes no sense. If it's unfair to compare the C6 Z06 to the C7 base, why is it fair to compare the C6 ZR1 to the C7 Z06? Also, the base C6 and Z06 are VERY far apart, arguably farther apart than the Z06 and ZR1. And if it's "pretty easy to let the tech trickle down for minimal cost" from the C6 Z06 to the C7 base without changing the base price of the latter much, why don't you think the same can happen with the C6 ZR1 tech down to the C7 Z06? They're "the same car" according to you, after all.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 01-11-2014 at 09:04 AM..
Appreciate 0