01-11-2014, 12:26 AM   #89
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktimize View Post
The problem with your estimate is you're comparing it wrong. How do you expect GM to add all the tech and parts of the C6 ZR1 to the new Z06, plus a bunch of new R&D, and somehow maintain the old Z06 price point? That is completely unreasonable. C6 ZR1 is around 120k, so the new Z06 is going to be at least the same price as ZR1 was but most likely a little more.
GM probably won't release pricing until long after the car is unveiled next week, so we may not know that particular detail for a while yet, but (and I may be wrong about this because I'm too lazy to look it up right now) I seem to remember reading that the C7 Z51 performance in terms of lap times roughly matches a C6 Z06. If that's true, GM somehow managed to do a bunch of R&D on the C7, including a bunch of luxury, technology, and convenience upgrades, and deliver C6 Z06-level performance, all without straying too far above the C6 base MSRP. I still don't see $115-120K as a reasonable starting point. Maybe if they bring back the Z07 package, a top-trim Z06 with that package might get close to there, but I just don't see it.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0