06-07-2019, 01:37 AM   #197
pyrat15
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 1er M Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by advantage20 View Post
It wasn't exactly what I meant I'm actually for a solid M range including hardcore M models, M lite models aka M Performance, M Sport trim, and M Performance accessories. As long as the top level real M cars keep their promises, I see no problem that lesser models with a sporty flavor be associated with BMW's sport brand, aka M. Even better if tech and goodies (e.g. carbon roof) trickle down from the top M models.

What I meant is that, from a healthy marketing shandpoint, hardcore M models and M Performance models should be named by their actual name (M8, M4, M850i...) all over the place, hammering these in the conscious and subconscious mind of the public for the names themselves to become icons as much as the actual cars (hopefully they actually deliver as well). Now however BMW's communication is confusing, as the M8 for instance is named either 'THE M8' or '8 Series Coupé M Automobile' depending on the media platform (ads, videos, configurator), which is just idiotic.
Yeah I know - this was just something that was in my mind

I agree with you. I just think BMW should rather rebrand their M Performance cars, as M850i includes the (marketing) M letter and when you read it, you say M8(50i...). Better than calling the real M car 8 Series Coupé M Automobile', they rather focus on giving their M Performance cars another name.

Maybe SCOTT26 can say something about this discussion?
Appreciate 1