View Single Post
      08-05-2019, 02:45 PM   #6
vtown
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Our family had 2 subies. 2005 Legacy GT for me and 2007 Forester for the wife.

2 years in I learned to hate the Legacy GT. Initially, it was quick, relatively upscale (compared to the WRX) and AWD capable. Long term it was uncomfortable on long drives (didnt' have power seats, so position was limited) and the power was unrefined and non-linear, very hard to drive smoothly. I certainly had a few issues with it while under warranty. Couldn't wait to dump it and went to a used BMW and was much happier despite being in an older car.

Wife loved the Fozzy, at 10 years she wanted a new one. Problem was, 10 years later the car hardly improved. The interior tech was meh. $35-40K for essentially the same car? No thanks.

I think subaru people are largely just lazy and are not enthusiasts(save for WRX peeps). It's just easy to buy the "same thing", it's a known entity that ticks the AWD box.
They are relatively reliable, and the boxer low CG does contribute to better driving dynamics, and they aren't super expensive, so there's that. But they are noisy, tinny and unrefined. Basic transportation; great stuff if that's all your after.

BMW is a different demographic, and it's a premium brand. Some are just tools looking for status. Others are enthusiasts after the classic transverse engine, RWD dynamics.
They do drive better than 90% of the cars on the road because (up until recently anyway) they are designed with dynamics in mind (low-ish CG, near 50-50 weight distribution). That seems to be shifting, I would think the enthusiast is starting to look elsewhere...but where to go? The whole market is getting soft, big and heavy.
Appreciate 0