View Single Post
      06-19-2019, 12:09 AM   #25
Flacht3
Not Enough Garage Space
Rep
Drives: STO /765LTS/ Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyraww View Post
It's official I guess... they tried but failed with the gt3 engine.... however. Read up.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...ocialflowFBRAT
I forgot that this thread where we were "debating" if it was going to be the GT3 engine or not. I still stand by this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacht3 View Post

Porsche is the master of product positioning. They'd never drop the 4.0 GT3 engine into a cayman. Especially not while the 718 GT4 will release before the next gen 992 GT3, meaning you'd have engine parity across the lines and they wouldn't allow that.

I really don't believe it's just about not doing it because they "couldn't", meaning the configuration was a challenge and pricing was a driving factor, but also strongly because they "wouldn't" since then you'd have a positioning issue and Porsche isn't new to this game.

It's kind of funny looking at the split reactions on Rennlist. The GT4/718 group is pretty disappointed and shocked it's not the GT3 engine and won't redline at 9k, whereas the GT3 group is more "well duh, but it'll still be a great car with a flat NA 6 redlining to 8k.

I have no doubt it'll be fantastic.