View Single Post
      02-17-2019, 10:21 AM   #14
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PshhhhhMW View Post
Awesome! Just got back from a Boston trip where I was lugging around the 5DMIV being a tourist and got tired of the weight. The comparison reviews on the R vs 5DMIV are super helpful but I guess the weight savings are minimal?

How's it feel weight wise for you? I might just keep the 5D and grab the entry level mirrorless as a back up.
Weight-wise, there is a slight difference but nothing that I would really care about. I'm not the best judge of this, though, since I am a human pack mule. The pack I carry for work is regularly around 30-ish+ lbs. For field work, that goes up and I'll still hand carry gear. It's all exercise to me. The weight of the 5D2 was never an issue for me (while shooting or carrying).

I weighed the 5D2 that I have as well as the R. Here's what I got:
  1. 5D2 (body only): 1lb 15.875oz
  2. EOS R (body only): 1lb 7.125oz
  3. EOS R (body + EF Control Ring adapter): 1lb 11.5oz

So, the R adapter adds back some of the weight saved from the lighter R body but the pair is still lighter overall than the 5D2. I would probably say that the weight is a little more distributed for the R + adapter, though, since the adapter weight is more forward biased. Conversely, the 5D2 is more rear biased since the body is the heavier than most of the lenses I use. Note that I have not looked up spec weights nor any difference between the 5D2 and 5D4. I only have the mark II.

I quickly took a few, crude comparison pix of the 2 bodies w/ my XTi. I'll post those in a little bit.