View Single Post
      02-16-2023, 09:35 AM   #37
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
The 1.8 accident stat I presumed was observed traffic data rather than respondent's opinion (it wasn't clear for that specific data). Checking Google, the WHO shows "road deaths" per "1B vehicle kilometers" (I assume that's similar to the NHSTA stat of deaths per 100 million miles - driven). Germany is 4.2 deaths, USA is 7.3, which aligns with your position. It would be nice to know what a road death is (i.e. actual traffic accident death or are pedestrians included). I'd think the US has a higher number of pedestrian deaths since traffic laws in the US give people the right of way over vehicles; I'd bet Germans aren't that stupid.
The US is considerably larger than Germany with more dense urban areas and absolutely different driving conditions. That will account for the higher death rate. However, our friends position was “Americans drive shitty.” The stats I provided from an unbiased website show that to be not true. Not to mention stereotypes in general are just silly. And I find drivers in general, and this is my opinion, are biased and arrogant towards their own greatness when they compare themselves to other drivers. That same survey backs up my opinion.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17388.50