View Single Post
      09-18-2023, 12:34 PM   #2
Seaford
Permanently confused
Rep
Drives: 840i M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Disclaimer: Before I get everyone upset at me. I enjoy true driving cars engagement and power and love my M8. For those of you who own the 840i I'm not going after you or your choice I simply cannot understand the placement or want of this vehicle overall. IMO

So I've been lucky enough to have a 840i Coupe over the weekend. It's loaded 2023 all the nice bells and whistles. I was able to take it up to my canyon drive and around for a few long stints and city driving. I put a few hundred on it and filled it up about twice.

Here is where my thoughts start to come in, I'll just list them for ease of read.

1. Why did they make this car? I think they were simply trying to produce the cheapest 8 series possible with zero expectations.

2. Handles like a boat, really has more body role than the X3 M40i and is slower.

3. That new larger touch screen looks like someone just turned the resolution to 150%. That is even after I looked to adjust font size etc.

4. The B58 engine is amazing and is tuned for good power delivery in this car, but it makes it feel fake. I guess all cars must have that small engine version.

5. Listen I know some might say well I bought it for XXXX reasons.... They simply do not exist, I think about having a M240i for half the cost would have been killer compared to this boat. Or the new M2. I can't even justify this car due to cost because there are so many other options out there. Heck a used M850i if the style was the only thing you wanted.

6. Steering feels like its not connected to the car at all. It is loose and has not resistance at all, add that to the large amount of body roll and its a school bus.

7. Braking is very weak for the heft of this ride as well. They heat soak very quickly. I know they didn't build this for a track car but I'm talking a slightly spirited drive out in the rural areas.

There are a few other things I'm not a huge fan of but not worth really going over it. And listen I know it this won't be a positive post, but I just have to be honest. I think about the overall cost of what you get here: 93k start and in the M440i you get the same equipment start at 63k and in such a better overall vehicle. Forget all the sports car stuff its just an overall better equipped ride in the M440i over the 840i.

Things I liked;

1. Fuel mileage was good for what you have for sure.

2. The overall looks of it are spot on with the blacked out package.
I wish I had consulted you before buying an 840.

Appreciate 3
Tenac4595.00
snowbimmer5324.50