01-10-2019, 05:28 AM   #32
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Unless you are moving big cylinders, like my 6.2L V8, it's going to be hard to get a lot of torque down low with a N/A engine. They don't quite rev as fast as smaller cylinders. You can also get something that revs faster, like a flat-6, but that puts you back into having to rev more to reach the torque.
I've been driving a N/A car with 4, 6, or 8 cylinders for 4 decades and their torque has worked fine for me so far. Yeah, I'm an old dinosaur, I get it, but how I get to work hasn't changed either. My stable right now has a 5.3L small block, two BMW N/A 6, BMW 4-banger, and a flat-six (Honda M/C). All are great classic engines IMO. I get speeding tickets like everyone else. So I need more torque lower in the rev band because...?
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 01-10-2019 at 05:33 AM..
Appreciate 0