View Single Post
      03-09-2012, 01:23 PM   #134
Im4citadel
Der Stalag EUA
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carbon Black 550I Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
Based on this post, it seems to me that the R8 would be a mistake. What you are looking for is a Ferrari, not an Audi. Audis are boring, R8's are ho-hum. I see them all of the time and they don't interest me. I'll snap my neck and almost drive off the road to get a second look at a Ferrari, even an older one like a 355 for example.

On the issue of maintenance and reliability, you really need to read up. Audi has arguably the worst reliability track record in the luxury market. The V8 WILL 100%, WITHOUT A DOUBT, suffer from carbon buildup. The RS4 guys are losing 10% of their power due to carbon buildup before the car starts misfiring and they are forced to pay ~$1500 to clean it. Now your not-so super 420 HP super car may as well be a 4.2L A6.

There's also a possibility that a cylinder of three will inexplicably become scored and you'll need a new motor like the S4 and RS4 guys. If one of the 17 timing chain tensioners fails, the motor will have to be pulled to replace the timing system. The B6 and B7 S4 guys are paying upwards of $5k to have this done (this is a 80 to 100k mile issue though).

My point is, the R8 is boring and not the "maintenance bargain" super car that you might think. Please, whatever you do, do not buy an R8 without driving a 360 first. At least give us that.
Sound info and advice....Fair enough