View Single Post
      11-27-2018, 09:46 AM   #35
jimmyfloyd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31

I think the issue is also that GM and Ford for the longest time put out the same cars with different badging, while BMW honda and toyota all focused on one brand.

Think of the cavelier/sunfire or Cobalt/G5, or impala/regal/grand prix/intrigue. Those were all basically the same cars just slightly different shape. Had they focused on one brand for those sizevehicle, like Honda has the civic and accord, or BMW with the 3 and 5 series, then I think they would have had a better run and better financial position. It would have had better sales numbers per segment, and fewer parts to design, build, maintain inventories of. The brands could have stuck around, but maybe like BMW did splitting the 4 doors to odd numbers, and 4 doors to even, they could have said Pontiac should have the 2 door cars, and doesn't need a 4 door segment. Keep the excitement. Chevy should have become their entry level and work truck brand. GMC should have become the luxury trucks and Cadillacs should have been their luxury brand, like Lexus for Toyota.

I think they just saturated the market with their own similar cars, and did not help themselves.