11-27-2018, 08:59 AM   #26
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel.psd View Post
I don’t think it’s a reflection of the sedan. I think it’s a reflection of the American branded sedan.
The truth in this statement is evidence when a business traveler is asked whether he / she could see themselves buying a GM branded vehicle they just rented while on a business trip. The answer is almost always a confident no.

The problem is governance, starting with the board and CEO. "The fish rots from the head". The governance at GM hasn't changed and cars that no one wants is just an outcome.

From Fortune magazine in 2013: http://fortune.com/2013/04/03/histor...t-auto-chiefs/

Roger Smith, CEO, General Motors

1981-1990

When Smith took over, GM’s U.S. market share was 46%. It was 35% when he left. In the process, he wasted billions trying to revive the sagging giant through diversification (EDS and Hughes), automation (robotized factories), reorganization (two superdivisions B-O-C and C-P-C), commonization (GM-10 cars) and experimentation (Saturn). Smith’s legacy was a fleet of low-quality, lookalike autos, an unqualified successor, and a mountain of debt that pushed the company close to bankruptcy in 1992.
Appreciate 0