Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBMWWINS View Post
Coding via Esys is not as straightforward as it used to be.... You need an up-to-date launcher or an external system (e.g. EsysX) in order to properly DE-code all the CAFDs else you will not be able to see what you actually do. In fact you will not even know which ECU/parameter/function you are dealing with. So this implies purchasing a program that links to Esys and decodes the CAFDs.

For coding if you want to keep it easy without having to go the Esys/EsyX way, I suggest you take a look at a simple yet powerful APP like Bimmercode. All you need is an OBD bluetooth adapter and their app/license and you are set. It's very quick, user friendly to use and simple to understand. I mostly use Bimmercode (they also have an expert mode to get "deeper" into certain ECU parameters/functions) and turn to Esys only for flashing the complete car.

https://bimmercode.app/

This is used and mentioned a lot on Bimmerpost (on the other series forums) and there is a lot of information to be gathered. Just PM me if you need support or help with it but I am sure you will manage if you decide to go this route. While a decent OBD adapter is necessary, the useful thing with that is that you can also use it later with a given diagnostic app (e.g. bimmertool, torque pro) to diagnose your car and read out eventual fault codes present that do not necessarily trigger a check control warning/message for the driver to see it. That's just to say that such an OBD2 bluetooth adapter can serve several purposes.
Thanks for the info and I had looked at Bimmercode in the past but it was missing support for features I'm interested in enabling, e.g., Antidazzle, advanced ASL, etc. which are all coded out here in the US. I did come across a post on the X5 forum in which the OP used Bimmercode to create a custom interior ambient lighting scheme in "M colors" for his X5M so I'm assuming that was done via "expert mode". If someone had a cheat sheet for Antidazzle, advanced ASL, etc. for Bimmercode "expert mode" I'd likely be all in on it.

To your point EsyX appears pretty daunting and not for the faint of heart whatsoever. Hence, sitting on the fence so far even with Saunders17283 excellent how to guides published in his Esys thread which I was one of the forum members asking him to do. Generally I never shy away from modding any firmware, etc. but messing with a $100K plus device just scares me.
You and I both know we can do this by ourselves. However, to maintain pace with the updates as things change isn't tenable or desirable for me and I suspect you. If I'm right, ping me off-forum and I'll introduce you to my guy that keeps my life that little bit simpler.
With my background in computer science and electronic engineering; I'm sure I could do it my self. However I still prefer to call r33_RGSport to do it for me.
That's bloozeman's and my area of expertise, too.
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12971.00