View Single Post
      12-15-2020, 05:53 PM   #22
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andycam View Post
How would summer rims cope with your winter road conditions? Here in Sweden where they use copious amounts of road salts many car manufacturers and 3rd party rim manufacturers have rims designed specifically for winter use and salt exposure. What it actually means in terms of construction or paint/lacquer I don't know...
I do not live in a mountain area plus winters are not what they used to be. Cars "saw" the first salt a couple of weeks ago around here and way less salt is being spread compared to some years back when we saw the snow in October as good as every year. Actually the "salty" period is way shorter than it used to be. And this matters.
But other than that, is there such thing? I have seen aftermarket wheels as well as BMW wheels, supposedely "designed specifically for winter use and salt exposure" deteriorate or get really ugly from salt and corrosion. I have seen it on an F30 of a friend who follows every comma and dot BMW mentions, and guess what? His wheels got the "aluminium cancer" despite being what BMW defines as "winter complete set" and mine didn't (19" original non-winter set). Do you really think there is a difference in "winter resistance" between the 727 wheels and the 733 ones? Or between the 728 and the 730ies? It's just that 19" will give you better traction control, possibly use less fuel and be all together the better winter choice. I have yet to see or read anywhere that BMW have wheels that are more resistant to salt or any other agents. I am not interested in aftermarket/3rd Party wheels for winter. I opt for original ones and want to keep same size as summer. On all my previous BMWs I never had any issues with the bigger size and with the staggered setup. Based on my experience, and on where I live, I have no reasons for changing this.
Appreciate 0