View Single Post
      10-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #7
rodi
. . .
Rep
Drives: your FACE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
Like vachss said, slower, but more cinematic. 5D records at 30fps right now which makes videos look more like documentaries than movies. That's probably the simplest way to explain the look. Movies are shot at 24fps which give film a more dream-like quality to them. I'm far from a video expert so someone like rodi can probably explain it way better. I just know this will open up a lot more room for creativity with this camera.
we see such a difference in film and video because of our experience at the theaters. film is shot at 24fps and the most common shutter speed is 180-degree shutter - or in the digital world: 1/48th of a second @24fps. The closest you can get to this film look with video is to shoot with a 180-degree equivalent shutter: 1/60th @30 fps. but then you still have the higher speed of 30fps so you're not quite there. there's a lot of searching in google you can do to find out why this 24fps is so pleasing to the human eye, i think it's mainly because of its relation to the speed at which we register our vision.
you can't just convert 30fps to 24fps, unfortunately - it won't look the same. but if you're using a 180-degree shutter, you can get closer.

i remember being a kid and watching TV and seeing such a difference between the look and speed of some of the shows (mainly the lower budget stuff like soap operas and shit on nickelodeon) and that of the movies. it always annoyed me to the point where i'd feel the need to change the channel or just quit watching. maybe i'm alone on that one. ha.

Appreciate 0