Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrumphoto View Post
For me, I am just not fond of that big of a crop that the chip offers. It is a smaller chip which means smaller film plane. It will help you punch in further. Personally, I'd just carry my 300 f2.8 and throw on a 1.4x and work on my skills of getting closer to the subject but that is only my preference. ..
I'm not getting rid of my 5D2, so I'll have that sensor when I need it. I want something suitable for birds in flight. Also, I believe in reviewing test images rather than just looking at a sensor's size and making a judgement. Moore's law is in effect with sensors and what didn't make sense as recently as 12-months ago migh work tomorrow.

About getting closer, at my favorite spot, I'm either at waters edge or a nearby high point about 20-feet away from water's edge. The birds come in from every direction, except more come from the large lake just to the North of me. Hence, my attraction to the high spot just North of the pond. The birds come right in and don't avoid me, but catching their bank into the wind will involve catching them all over the pond, which is 200-ft or so at it's max.

So, how should I change my approach to get close enough with a 400mm lens on a FF camera? Some birds DO fly right over me, but that's less than 10% of the time. Also, due to low light, the 1.4TC is not practical a little later in the morning than the shots I'm missing.

Dave