08-26-2019, 02:22 PM   #20
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
So do I, and I call BS on that, sorry. I didn't say they know how to implement autonomous driving right now, but they and we will get there. I said they want to reduce traffic deaths. These issues are being worked on currently. By metering against the vehicle in front, keeping distances, slowing down when the vehicle ahead slows down (rather than having the head down on the phone), staying in the lane, braking for someone that suddenly crosses (when again you might be on your phone) and a plethora of other situations, it will absolutely reduce deaths. Other motorists. Pedestrians. You name it. That doesn't mean lowering overall speeds. It may mean averaging speeds.
Call BS if you want, but a review of legislation on the subject of AV shows Congress has no comprehensive plan for implementation of a Level 5 system. Cars equipped with sensors and AI are not going to solve congestion. Congestion leads to phone use. Congress at best has tried to address a national standard for regulating autonomous vehicles, rather than develop regulation and standards for an "AV system". That's only to fend off state-level AV legislation. So outside of herding cats, Congress has no comprehensive plan. When the public learns what the true cost of converting to a Level 5 AV transportation system, both at the taxation level and vehicle cost level, its desire to convert to AV may wane.

Any AV system will need to lower impact speeds to lower death rates. Collisions are unavoidable as long as cars drive on streets with cross traffic, regardless if humans or computers are driving the vehicle.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 08-26-2019 at 03:33 PM..
Appreciate 1