Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by See5 View Post
I don't think it would be difficult but this where Ferrari and Porsche buyers start to show differences and also new vs used buyers.

Second hand buyers are different. They aren't looking for newest and best, they are looking to actually use the vehicle.

Also, Ferrari's last manual models were selling in the double digits IIRC. No one really wanted them, so Ferrari just stopped. Easier for them as they don't have to certify another drivetrain for emissions or design cars around two transmissions. Porsche drivers on the other hand, still buy new manual models in significant amounts and let the manufacturer know through money and communication.
Like BMW, Ferrari is selling MANY more vehicles now that they're all automatic. Think about the rich executive who drives an S-class or G-wagen all week/winter having to then get into his high end sports car with basically a racing clutch and a manual trans. He doesn't want to look like an a-hole driving to pick up his coffee and I think that's where much of this comes from.

For decades automatic drivers have been shamed relentlessly into the shadows only for technology to finally liberate them. No longer do you have to admit you can't drive a stick -- you can just hide behind the fact that it's quicker and no one will every find out your shameful secret.

With that said, as a 37 year old man whose parents (both around 70yo) have still never owned an automatic vehicle, I firmly believe that stick is more enjoyable for any sporty vehicle.

If meals could be consumed in pill form, would you opt for that instead of sinking your teeth into a delicious Shake Shack or In-N-Out burger? It's much faster.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 5
Red Bread4463.00
SherM4n630.00
shay2nak1070.00
b92539.50