07-14-2023, 08:59 AM   #2229
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan View Post
Honestly you can't really defend this without being a Toyota fan boy. The Supra is no doubt iconic and was for sure ahead of it's time but it's still a Toyota. Go compare a BMW from 1993 and a Toyota from 1993 and tell me which one has better quality of materials, build quality, etc.

I don't see anyone making the argument that the Mclaren F1 isn't a real Mclaren because BMW built the engine.

IMO BMW is the best thing that happened to Toyota. If they built the car it would look like something a sorority girl would drive and make like 200 hp
I agree. When it comes to the actual product the biggest gripe (besides subjective "look") is it's not a full Toyota product, not that the engine, trans, suspension or anything else isn't to the level it needs to be.

Left alone to Toyota, 30 years later we still wouldn't have had a Supra and no, we wouldn't be better off without it. Then, if Toyota for some reason decided to go it alone it it would have been a V-6, no chance as good of an engine, pretty sure not the ZF trans, highly unlikely it would have ever gotten a manual as they wouldn't have had something easily added to their engine.