05-24-2022, 04:05 PM   #22
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Don't they just run with less downforce? So as in more ride height?
I mean, they have high top speed, but their lap times are still off from the top of the field.
That means they're loosing time in corners. Where downforce is king.

They've solved porpoising with the settings and new parts they used. Doesn't mean that they're solved when the car is made faster. Only that last thing counts of course.
Only time will tell I guess, but I think it's probably a very delicate balance. (for all the teams)

I wonder how much budget is still left at MERC.
If they wanted a faster car in a straight line they would have to decrease drag, and the way they would do that is with wing levels. They would never reduce drag via increasing ride height. The venturi tunnels are the most efficent down force generating devices on the car by far, and the trade off between drag reduction and downforce loss is never worth it when messing with the floor via ride height (the trade off would be way too unfavorable). F1 teams would likely run wingless (the original 2022 rules planed on removing the front wings as that would allow the cars to be even less effected by dirty air) before they messed with the floor on these ground effects based cars.

Yeah they still are lacking downforce and the w13 is still overweight. Only parts will fix that now, if they have money left in their budget but they probably should have some money left over since they didn't bring any upgrades so far. Also not sure how much other teams have left but I wish the FIA would do a show and tell with their bank accounts too lol.

No, porpoising was fixed by changing the air flow structures under the car, if you can prevent those nasty characteristics of stalling and suction peaks etc, porposing will be solved under all circumstances. And if you understand the root cause of porpoising then any upgrades to increase down force will account for porpoising and it should never happen again.