03-24-2024, 01:30 PM   #43
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_328i View Post
Maybe if BMW had kept the design of the production 75 - 80% close to the prototype style, the second generation 8 series would sell a lot more and don't depreciate as much for sitting at the dealership lots for so long.
Agreed on this as the prototype was significantly more sexy but guessing manufacturing realities (including COGS to produce) ended up where the 8-series stands today.

Quote:
Although I don't own the second generation 8, I have a 1991 850i and was looking forward to the second gen to come out. All the of the marketing and pre-launch pictures of the sec gen 8 looked so awesome. I was really excited until... I'm not bashing on the second gen 8, still love it but it would have been a different story if otherwise.
Same here as watched that prototype video often after my CA told me the new 8 was on the horizon. Still live the new 8 though from an overall looks plus driving experience.

Quote:
Perhaps one day, I will be able to add the second gen 8 to my garage, parked next to the first gen 8.
Kudos to you on the 1st gen 8 ownership. How has the 850i M70 V12 held up for you from maintenance, etc.? Sounds like from what I've read the M73 and S70 have had a fair share of issues.

The N63T3 and S63T4 in the current 8-series have been rock solid. Wish I could say the same for the B58 with the new 48 volt mild hybrid on it and the S68 with the same. Don't want to jinx it as my wife's 40i LCI so far has no issues but others have been bricked by the 48 volt mild hybrid (mostly 50e's but has hit M60i's and 40is). Which shows up as the kiss of death, i.e., Drive Train malfunction on the iD8 console.
Appreciate 0