03-23-2007, 10:22 PM   #35
Lost Cosmonaut
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 BMW 740iL E38 Alpinweiß

Quote:
Originally Posted by ages944 View Post
The 1er is smaller and not as luxurious as the 3 coupe. Not going to cannibalize sales at all. 1er as I understand it is mainly intended to bring people into the brand.

As enthusiasts, we may well like a more nimble car with a better power to weight ratio (though it's not going to be a night and day difference), but many many BMW buyers (unfortunately) don't care, as a lot of them think of the luxury aspects of the car. Further, I honestly don't know how many Americans are going to like the idea of getting into an even smaller BMW. Hell, I don't know how many Americans can fit into a smaller BMW...

Like the 318ti, the 1 series is a risky proposition in this country because Americans have a somewhat well defined (albeit incorrect) notion about what a BMW is (you know, a yuppie car) and the 1er, like the 318ti before it, doesn't totally fit the public 'mold'. This is of course why BMW won't bring the hatch here again.

The price to power to practicality/looks ratio has to be good, especially considering how BMW's are equipped as base models here in the US. The 318ti's problem in my opinion was that it was under powered and too expensive. It also looked weird to boot (again, Americans don't really like hatches). Hence it failed. Now it seems BMW's fixed two of the three problems. If the price is right, I think the car might fly, but it's never going to take anything away from the 3's. Mini might be another matter however.

I will agree with you wholeheartedly on one thing though. DD's on a 4'10" chick are damn cool!
VW has been working for years to build it's image. The market is pretty bare for compact sports-luxury cars. The GTI and A3 seem to be doing pretty well for themselves. The 1er would be pretty much the same thing, just BMW-style. A cheaper BMW means more people who dream about buying a BMW but can't afford a 3er would probably end up buying a GTI or A3. Bringing over the 1er means BMW can get in on some of the action they're giving away to VAG.

Lightweight coupe with the N54... Some people are starting to make connections to the old 2002 Turbo. This could be a GOOD thing. BMW sees that and that's why the 1er is on it's way.

- LC
Appreciate 0